CBD and Hair Loss
CBD, the cannabinoid compound in the cannabis plant may have benefits such as easing pain, reducing inflammation, anxiety, and more. More recently, the health and beauty industry has taken notice of the trend and discovered CBD might help with skin and hair issues including one that often plagues men more than women-hair loss.
While CBD is not a cure-all for hair loss, adding it to your hair care routine might help in preventing hair loss related to non-genetic causes.
- Amino and Fatty acids– CBD oil is rich in amino acids, the backbone of the hair follicle protein keratin that makes up about 88% of hair. Keratin contains 18 different amino acids that aid in red blood cell production. Amino acids also play a significant role in red blood cell production. This is important because red blood cells supply nutrients and oxygen to hair follicles. Researchers at Belgravia Centre found and published a study citing CBD contains fatty acids omega 3 and omega 6. Both fatty acids have shown promise in fighting hair loss by promoting blood flow to the scalp.
- Antioxidants– CBD oil also contains a long list of antioxidants, including vitamin E, vitamin A, calcium, and magnesium. Antioxidants protect against hair loss-causing free radical damage and are proven to help keep hair healthy.
- Inflammation– There is a connection between hair loss and inflammation, including male pattern baldness and other forms of alopecia. Studies show that the anti-inflammatory properties of CBD might help calm an overactive immune response and reduce inflammation related to autoimmune conditions that cause hair loss.
- Stress reduction-Increased stress can cause symptoms that are not tied to any illness, including skin issues and hair loss. Research suggests CBD might reduce stress and increases blood flow to parts of the brain associated with anxiety.
- Sebum production- Sebum is the natural oil produced by your body that protects and moisturizes your skin, hair, and scalp. CBD has shown promise in helping ease dry skin. A moisturized scalp can help keep hair follicles healthy.
Often, male hair loss is genetic. If you are experiencing sudden hair loss or other symptoms, it is best to see your doctor.